Grading System

This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

6.1 Letter Grades for Graduate Students        

The following grades are given to graduate students and count in calculating a student’s cumulative GPA as noted by quality hours. GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of graded semester or quarter hours. Courses not taken at Illinois Institute of Technology are not included in computing the GPA. Students may access their grades online in the MyIIT portal ( ), under the Academics tab.

Grade Grade Description Instructor Assigned Performance Evaluation Attempted Hours Earned Hours Quality Points Quality Hours GPA Hours FinAid Hours
Babove averagexxxx3.00xxx
Wwithdrawal (student initiated)x0.00x
Xno grade submittedx0.00x

Note: The grades of "E", "X", "I", "W" and "U" cannot be used to fulfill any degree requirements in a graduate program.

6.2 Incomplete and Research Pending   

The "I" grade is to be used only when for some unusual or compelling reasons a student is unable to complete the course requirements by the end of the semester. It is not to be given as a substitute for a low or failing grade or to allow a student to submit extra work after the end of the semester to improve the grade. It is not to be given when a student stops attending class without officially withdrawing through the Office of the Registrar. A student with an "I" grade should not attempt to register for the same course, otherwise two grades will appear on the record; the original "I" will become an "E", plus there will be a second completed letter grade. The student should also have a substantial equity in the course, with no more than four weeks of classroom work remaining to be completed. The work to remove the "I" grade must be completed no later than the end of the sixth week of classes of the following regular (fall or spring) semester. Failure to do so will result in "I" being replaced by an "E".

The "R" grade designates research completion is in-progress for courses numbered 591, 594 and 691. The "R" grade will be changed by the research adviser from "R" to "S" satisfactory in the semester in which the research is satisfactorily completed. An approved master's thesis defense or doctoral oral defense result (filed on Form G303 and G309 respectively) indicates research requirements are satisfactory.

6.3 Grade Point Average 

The grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of graded semester hours. Note that the graded semester hours do not include grades of "W", "I", "X", "P", "WP", "R", "S" or "U". Only courses taken at Illinois Institute of Technology are used to calculate the GPA and all courses taken at Illinois Institute of Technology, including those not applied to graduation requirements, are used in calculating the GPA. If a student attends Illinois Institute of Technology as an undergraduate student and subsequently as a graduate student, a separate GPA is calculated for each of the two levels. The exception is for approved shared courses that are used in co-terminal study.

6.4 GPA Requirement for Graduation  

Only the grades for those courses which appear in the student's Graduate Degree Works Audit form that fulfill the degree program requirements, and on the approved Plan of Study, are used in the calculation of the GPA for graduation. This GPA must be at least 3.0 for the student to graduate. A student who has completed the courses on the Plan of Study without meeting the minimum GPA requirement must take additional graduate level courses (approved on a revised Plan of Study) to raise the GPA. Once a program course has been completed, it cannot be removed from the Plan of Study.

6.5 Academic Probation  

A student who is no longer in good standing must contact his/her academic adviser and academic unit head. It is imperative for such students to discuss an academic plan with the academic unit for improving the situation. If the student's plan is acceptable, then the academic unit head will forward his/her recommendation in the “Probation form” for approval to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College who will permit the student's registration for one additional semester. If a student is allowed to continue, he or she will be on a probationary status and will not be allowed to receive grades below "B". Probationary students who receive additional "C" or "E" grades may otherwise be permanently dropped without prior notice.

Under certain circumstances, the academic unit head may submit a written remediation plan and recommendation for a student's continued enrollment when the probation plan requires additional semesters (because of course availability) and/or other steps to resolve the probationary academic standing. The written plan is submitted to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College. If the remediation plan is accepted and registration is approved, continued registration each semester will be based on the student's strict adherence to the plan and requisite progress toward degree completion. The student may be dismissed, without recourse, for failure to comply, as determined by the Associate Dean of the Graduate College.

6.6 Repetition of Courses           

Any course appearing on the approved Plan of Study for which the student has not received a passing grade ("A", "B", "C") must be repeated. A student may, with academic unit approval, repeat up to two courses for grade point average recalculation. The “course repeat section” of the G702 Academic Probation Contract will be completed by the student and filed with the Graduate College before the student may attempt to repeat the course for grade point average recalculation. When a course is repeated the new grade will replace the old grade in the calculation of the cumulative GPA and that required for graduation. However, the original course and grade earned will appear on the student transcript along with the repeat course and grade earned.

A student must not register for a course in which he or she has received an "I" grade, doing so will cause the "I" to be changed to an "E".

6.7 Transfer Credits          

Policies and procedures regarding transfer credit and credential evaluation are found in the Transfer Credit section  of the Graduate Bulletin.

6.8 Proficiency Examination

With the prior approval of their respective advisers, academic unit heads, and the Associate Dean of the Graduate College, students may obtain credit for a course by paying the published fee and taking a special examination. Credit by examination is limited to nine credit hours with grades of “A” or “B” and is subject to the limitations for transfer credit in a degree program. Special exams are not permitted for courses in which the student has previously enrolled or for topics in which the student has never taken a course. Students need to be registered in a semester in which a special examination is taken. The Credit by Proficiency Examination Form is submitted to initiate this request.