Academic Probation

This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

A student whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0/4.0 is no longer in good standing and must petition the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs for permission for provisional enrollment by submitting Form G702 Graduate Probation Contract . Students for whom provisional enrollment is granted must not earn a semester GPA less than 3.0 while on academic probation. Probationary students who receive “C” or “E” grades will be required to repeat courses, subject to the limits specified within this bulletin, to improve the cumulative and/or program GPA. Registration is restricted to nine credit hours during the probationary period, until the student is returned to good academic standing.

Dismissal will occur when a student fails to make the requisite academic progress during the probationary period. Students may not register for a co-op while on academic probation. If a student’s GPA in his or her approved program of study is below 3.0, then graduate courses approved on an updated Plan of Study may be added to the program until the corresponding GPA is at least 3.0, with the approval of the academic adviser, unit or department, and the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs.