Grades and Transcripts

This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit


The following grades are given to graduate students and count in calculating a student’s cumulative GPA as noted by quality hours. GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of graded semester or quarter hours. Courses not taken at Illinois Institute of Technology are not included in computing the GPA. Students may access their grades online in the MyIIT portal ( ), under the Academics tab.

Grade Grade Description Instructor Assigned Performance Evaluation Attempted Hours Earned Hours Quality Points Quality Hours GPA Hours FinAid Hours
Babove averagexxxx3.00xxx
Wwithdrawal (student initiated)x0.00x
Xno grade submittedx0.00x

Incomplete (“I”) Grade

The “I” grade is a temporary grade requested by the student, of the instructor, through the incomplete grade request process, prior to the week of finals. An "I" grade is automatically posted when the Office of the Registrar receives the approved request. A written agreement between the student and instructor must detail the remaining requirements for successful completion of the course. A grade of "I" will be assigned only in case of illness or unforeseeable circumstances that prevent the student from completing the course requirements by the end of the term. Grades of "I" will automatically lapse to "E" on the published deadline of the subsequent term.

“R” Grade

In the case of research courses, courses numbered 591 and 691, the grade of “R” may be assigned for the reasons listed above and will remain until the student has satisfactorily completed the course work. Once assigned, the grade of “R” will remain on the student’s transcript until the research as determined by the research professor is completed. “R” grades should be removed as soon as possible and no later than the start of the semester in which the student plans to graduate.

Non-Attendance “NA” Grade

A grade of "NA" indicates an apparent withdrawal as a result of the student never attending a registered section. Students who never attended class and remained registered should receive a midterm grade of "NA" to indicate an apparent withdrawal due to non-attendance. The "NA" grade is not available as a final grade.

Withdraw (“W”) Grade

The withdraw grade is issued to students who withdraw from a class after the term has begun. The “W” cannot be changed to a standard letter grade.

Satisfactory (“S”) and Unsatisfactory (“U”) Grades

Satisfactory (“S”) and unsatisfactory (“U”) grades are only used for the following courses: 591 (Research and Thesis), 594 (Project and Report), 691 (Research and Thesis), noncredit courses, and individual courses specifically approved to receive such grades. A student who receives a “U” in course numbers 591, 594, or 691 must demonstrate to his or her adviser, academic unit head, and the Graduate College, Office of Academic Affairs why he or she should be allowed to continue as a graduate student. Students registered for course number 597 are not eligible for “S/U” grades. “S/U” grades are not used in calculating the GPA.

Audit (“AU”)

In general, grades of “E”, “I”, "R", “U”, “W”, “NA”, or “AU” cannot be used to fulfill the requirements of a graduate program. Auditing of courses is discouraged, but a student may do so if he or she has taken the necessary prerequisites, if the student’s presence does not exclude a student who wishes to enroll for credit and if the student’s presence does not distract from the conduct of the course as determined by the instructor.  An auditor must pay full tuition for the course but is not held for examinations and does not receive credit. Auditors may not change their registration to receive credit after the deadline posted in the Enrollment Guide. The “AU” grade issued for an audited course can never be changed, used for graduate credit, or for fulfillment of degree requirements at the university.

Change of Grade

The change of grade request form is available on the Office of the Registrar's portal site. This form is intended for the exclusive use of Illinois Institute of Technology faculty and authorized academic administrators to request a student's official final grade be changed. Online submissions of final grades are due on the published deadline following final exams. Grades of "X" are posted for all missing (blank) grades at that time and are resolved through this grade change process. All grade changes are initiated by the instructor of record or authorized academic officer. Using this form, temporary grades of "I", "R", and "X" can be changed by the instructor directly with the Office of the Registrar to a final letter grade of: "A", "B", "C", "E", or "S/U" if the class has a pass/fail grading basis of satisfactory/unsatisfactory. Temporary grades of "I" or "R" cannot be changed by the instructor to another temporary or non-letter, administrative grade of "I", "R", "NA", "AU", "W", or "X. Other grade changes may require an additional level of approval by an academic officer or appeals committee. The student should check with his or her academic college dean's office for details. Changes to final grades cannot be made once a degree has been posted for the career in which the course was taken, or in the case of a student's involuntary separation from the university. Grade change submissions through this form are recorded in Banner once the submitting instructor and/or administrative academic authorization is verified. The instructor is notified when the process is complete.