Financial Information

This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Financial Aid


Illinois Institute of Technology's Office of Financial Aid provides financial assistance for students and families.

Comprehensive Financial Aid Program

Illinois Institute of Technology administers a comprehensive financial aid program which includes federal, institutional, and private funds for both full- and part-time students. Federal programs include loans and work-study employment. The university uses the formula established by the U.S. Congress to determine financial need for assistance. The university offers limited academic scholarship assistance to graduate students. These scholarships are awarded by individual university departments and by the Office of Graduate Admission. Private loans are also available and are based on credit approval from the lender.

For the most up-to-date information, visit the Office of Financial Aid website .

Student Eligibility Requirements to Receive Federal Financial Assistance

Students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at least half-time (4.5 credit hours or more per semester), and demonstrate academic progress towards graduation to qualify for federal aid. Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) includes a minimum grade point average and sufficient credit hours earned each semester towards the completion of a degree program. The university has an established SAP policy in compliance with federal and state regulations. Failure to comply with the university's SAP policy will lead to a student losing their eligibility for federal financial assistance. International students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Federal Financial Aid Application Process

All students applying for financial assistance must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is available at  beginning October of the academic year prior to the academic year in which the student plans to attend. The Illinois Institute of Technology Title IV School Code is 001691. The priority date for financial aid consideration at the university is February 7. All federal financial assistance is awarded on an annual basis; a FAFSA must be filed each academic year. The amount of financial aid a student receives each year depends on demonstrated financial need and the availability of funds. Students applying for federal financial aid may be required to submit tax information upon request.

Determining Financial Need for Assistance

Financial need is the difference between a student’s total annual cost of attendance at the university and the amount the student is deemed able to contribute toward the cost of attendance. The total cost of attendance at the university includes tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation, loan fees, and personal expenses. The amount that the student is deemed able to contribute is called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). 

The U.S. Department of Education has established the formula used to calculate the EFC based on the FAFSA information provided by a student and family. The EFC is subtracted from the cost of attendance and what is left over is considered to be the demonstrated need for financial assistance. One of the principles of need-based assistance is that students and their families are expected to help pay some of the cost of education.

Federal Financial Aid Programs

Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides job funding for students with demonstrated financial need. Students awarded FWS can earn money to help pay educational expenses and are responsible for finding employment. Students can work either on or off-campus. Off-campus jobs will be with private, non-profit organizations or public agencies that provide community service work. Students awarded FWS are paid at least the current federal minimum wage or higher, depending on the type of work performed. Students are paid by the hour and receive a biweekly paycheck. FWS students cannot work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year and may not work during their scheduled class times. FWS positions are advertised through the Office of Career Service's (OCS) Jobs4Hawks database ( ).

Federal Direct Loan Program

The Federal Direct Loan Program includes the Unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS Loan programs for graduate students. The interest rate for new loans is set on July 1 each year and is fixed. These loans must be repaid over a period of time after a student leaves school or drops below half-time enrollment.

Neither the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan nor the PLUS Loan are awarded based on demonstrated need and interest begins accruing from the time the loan funds are disbursed to the student. Students have the option of paying the interest while enrolled or having the interest added to the principal upon graduation or if attending less than half-time. Fees on each loan vary and are deducted before the funds are applied to a student’s account. The PLUS Loan is a credit-based loan, hence some students may be ineligible for this loan program.

Federal Perkins Loan

The federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest federal loan for students with exceptional financial need who received a previous Perkins disbursement on or before June 30, 2015. This loan is made with governmental funds and serviced by the university. No interest is charged while the student is enrolled in school. When a student leaves school or drops below half-time, the loan enters a nine-month interest-free grace period before the student begins repayment. Once repayment begins, the loan accrues five percent of the principal each year. Perkins Loan funds are limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. The final need criteria for this award are determined each year by the Office of Financial Aid.

As of early 2016, the Perkins Loan Program is operating because Congress passed the Perkins Loan Program Extension Act of 2015. This act extended the program through the 2017-2018 school year. If Congress does not reauthorize the Higher Education Act, or chooses not to draft another Perkins Extension Act, Illinois Institute of Technology will not be able to offer Perkins Loans for the 2018-2019 school year. 

Additional Information

All federal financial aid awards for graduate students (excluding law and business students) are processed by the Office of Financial Aid. The office is open from 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, and may be found online at .

Applying for a Financial Assistantship

A fellowship provides financial support to defray the cost of tuition and a stipend for living expenses. A tuition scholarship (TS) covers all or part of a student's tuition charges. TS funding cannot be applied toward other charges. Most degree programs provide financial support for teaching assistants (TAs) who help with instruction, and research assistants (RAs) who work on funded research projects. Graduate assistants (GAs) receive partial support in the form of a stipend with no tuition support.

Only full-time students are eligible for assistantships. New students will be considered for fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships when they apply for admission and will be notified of the award with their admission decision or shortly thereafter. Continuing students should apply to their major academic unit. The Office of Graduate Admission administers a number of fellowships and scholarships but does not directly administer assistantships available to students in each academic unit. Acceptance of an award or appointment for the fall semester is considered binding on the student after April 15. If a student’s academic work is judged to be unsatisfactory, the award may be canceled at the discretion of the university at anytime during the period covered.

Although an outstanding international student may receive some award from the university, most students must provide independent finances for their first year of graduate study. International students are required to carry at least nine credit hours per semester in order to maintain their F-1 student visa status.

Please note: the tuition scholarship and Federal Work Study plus any loan eligibility cannot exceed attendance cost for the academic year. Previously awarded loans may be adjusted after a tuition scholarship notification.

Alumni Tuition Voucher

Alumni who are registered in a graduate degree-seeking program (part-time or full-time status) and maintain good academic standing are permitted a reduction of one-third of the current tuition for one three-credit-hour course for each term of enrollment. Certain course exclusions, special program exclusions, and scholarship exclusions apply. Continuing eligibility is subject to the rules of master’s and doctoral degree completion time limit (see Time Limit to Complete a Degree ). The alumni benefit may not be applied retroactively.


  • Alumni admitted in non-degree-seeking status or programs. This includes students in certificate programs.
  • Alumni registered in only undergraduate courses or in Proficiency of English as a Second Language Courses (PESL).
  • Alumni not registered in at least one three-credit-hour course.
  • Alumni registered in a Chicago-Kent degree program.
  • Alumni registered only in the following courses: accelerated, co-op, internship, non-credit, research, and thesis.
  • The alumni tuition discount combined with all other university scholarships may not exceed tuition charges. Moreover, the alumni tuition discount will not be applied to students receiving the alumni half-tuition scholarship.
  • Concurrently admitted and enrolled doctoral and master’s degree candidates.

This discount is administered by the Office of Financial Aid and is awarded during the admissions process. Questions may be directed to .

Alumni Half-Tuition

The Alumni Half-Tuition Scholarship is available to any degree-seeking student who graduated from Illinois Institute of Technology within the past two years with an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.5 out of 4.0. This award covers the cost of 4.5 credit hours (per semester) for full-time graduate students in their first year of study. The Alumni Half-Tuition Scholarship is only available to students enrolling in a graduate program in the College of Architecture, College of Science, School of Applied Technology, or Lewis College of Human Sciences. The Alumni Half-Tuition Scholarship does not apply to Illinois Institute of Technology alumni pursuing a second or additional graduate degree. After a student exhausts her/his half-tuition scholarship, s/he is eligible for the Alumni Tuition Discount.  

Part-Time Employment

Part-time employment opportunities are available for students both on and off campus. External, off-campus positions and Experiential Learning (EL), which are career-related co-ops and internships, are managed by Career Services. Students interested in and eligible for employment off campus in their field of study can receive job search assistance from Career Services. Appointments for individual career coaching may be made online. Students are encouraged to be a part of the university's Experiential Learning Program, which ensures that the internship or co-op experience is vetted and officially recognized by the university.  

The EL program is a requirement for international students pursuing internships or co-ops under immigration rules and regulations. More information about off-campus employment and Experiential Learning is available on the Career Services website at

On-campus positions, including federal work study and non-federal work study jobs, are managed through the Student Employment Office. More information is available on the Student Employment Office website at .

International students (on F-1 visa) are restricted to on-campus employment for their first academic year of study at any school in the United States. After completing one academic year in the country, students on an F-1 visa may be eligible for opportunities off campus (only if related to their field of study) through the Experiential Learning Program.

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

The Illinois Institute of Technology proudly participates in Montgomery GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program. Veterans who wish to process VA benefits at the university can find all relevant information at . Veterans enrolling for the first time should contact the veteran representative in the Office of the One Stop by emailing  or calling 312.567.3810. The veteran must also inform the university Veterans Affairs representative in the Office of Financial Aid of any change in credit hours within a term or of future enrollment plans. If a veteran drops a course or withdraws from school completely, his or her allotment may be reduced or withdrawn. The veteran must report immediately the exact termination date to the Veterans Affairs representative. Veterans must maintain reasonable academic progress according to university standards. Failure to meet minimum-progress criteria can result in a cessation of educational benefits.

Taxation of Scholarships and Fellowships

U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien

A scholarship/fellowship payment received by a candidate for a degree is generally not taxable income to the student if it is used for qualified expenses. Qualified expenses are defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and include tuition and required fees, books, supplies, and equipment required of all students in the course. These payments do not need to be reported to the IRS by the student or Illinois Institute of Technology.

A scholarship/fellowship used for expenses other than qualified expenses is taxable income and includes payments that are used for living and incidental expenses such as room and board (housing), travel, research, clerical assistance, or equipment and other expenses that are not required for enrollment or attendance.

Although these payments are taxable income to the U.S. citizen or resident alien student, the IRS does not require the university to withhold tax on the payment. In addition, the university is not required to report these payments to the IRS. However, students are responsible for reporting these payments and remitting any tax due with their personal income tax returns.

Since the university cannot advise students regarding their personal tax matters, the student should consult with their personal tax adviser regarding the reporting of their scholarship/fellowship or stipend on their tax return.

International Student

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the U.S. government agency that administers U.S. tax laws and collects taxes from individuals receiving payments in the United States. The U.S. tax system is based on a calendar year (January 1 through December 31).

The IRS requires that the university apply specific federal tax withholding and reporting rules to payments made to international students.

A scholarship/fellowship payment received by an international student who is a candidate for a degree is generally not taxable income to the student if it is used for qualified expenses. Qualified expenses are defined by the IRS and include tuition and required fees, books, supplies, and equipment required of all students in the course. These payments do not need to be reported to the IRS by the student or the university. A scholarship/fellowship used for expenses other than qualified expenses is taxable income and includes payments that are used for living and incidental expenses such as room and board (housing), travel, research, clerical assistance, or equipment and other expenses that are not required for enrollment or attendance. For these types of scholarships, international students with an F, J, M, or Q visa are subject to 14% federal tax withholding unless their country of residency has a tax treaty with the United States that excludes scholarships/fellowships from taxation. Payments made to international students in any other immigration status are subject to 30% withholding.

Since the university cannot advise students regarding their personal tax matters, the student should consult with their personal tax adviser regarding the reporting of their scholarship/fellowship on their tax return.

Student Accounting


Financial Responsibility

Students take financial responsibility for the payment of all education related charges and fees that become a part of their student account when those charges are due regardless of their expected reliance on third-party resources such as financial aid, family gifts, employer reimbursement, private loans, outside scholarship or sponsorships. Any balance due to the university as the result of adjustments made to estimated or confirmed financial aid, the refusal to apply for any or all of the student's financial aid, or the inability to complete the financial aid verification become the student’s responsibility for payment. Students agree to supply the Office of Financial Aid with any reasonable information or documents that they may request to complete the verification process in a timely manner. Students acknowledge that any outstanding balance due on their student account that is not timely paid when due is subject to service charges in the amounts or at the rates established and published by the university from time to time and that they will be prevented from registering for additional courses or obtaining official documents such as diplomas or transcripts until that outstanding balance has been paid in full. Failure to pay a past due debt may result in the debt being listed with the State Comptroller’s Offset Program, referred to a collection agency, and/or other authorized legal debt collection procedures. Under such circumstances, the student is responsible for all fees and costs incurred by the university in the collection of the past due debt, including collection fees and/or attorney’s fees.


All university mandatory and non-mandatory charges are published regularly. The official university publication of current tuition, fees, and other charges for all students can be found at  on the Tuition and Fees page. All other published tuition and fee information should be considered an estimate and not the official published rates. Continually rising costs do not permit the university to guarantee that published charges will not change. Students and parents should anticipate periodic increases in the future.

Admission Application Fee

All first time applications for graduate admission must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee. Any applicant who has attended Illinois Institute of Technology previously, or who has already paid an application fee to the university, does not have to pay a second application fee. Please contact the appropriate program admissions office for any applicable fee.

Enrollment Deposit

Each student admitted as a full-time degree-seeking graduate student to certain programs is required to make a non-refundable enrollment deposit, which is credited toward the student’s cost of attendance and holds a place for the initial semester of enrollment.

Graduate Tuition

Graduate level enrollments are generally charged at a per credit hour tuition rate. This rate applies to all courses for which a graduate student registers, whether at the graduate or undergraduate level.

Some programs, particularly at Chicago-Kent College of Law and at Stuart School of Business, charge different rates depending on the program. Consult for the official tuition rates.

No charge is assessed for seminars carrying zero credit hours. For review or other non-credit courses, tuition is computed by considering the number of class meetings per week as equivalent to the number of credit hours.

Graduate students registered for 9 credit hours or more are considered full-time. Graduate students registered for less than 9 credit hours are considered part-time.

Other Fees & Charges

A student may incur other fees and charges that are both mandatory and non-mandatory. For a complete current listing of all charges and fees, go to  and select Tuition and Fees. Books and supplies are available at the university bookstores. Costs for books and supplies can differ significantly depending upon the field of study. Students in the College of Architecture, for example, may spend less on books but substantially more on supplies.

Parking Fee

All students parking in campus parking lots must register their cars with Access, Card, and Parking Services and pay a parking fee at the beginning of the semester. For current fees, students should contact Access, Card, and Parking Services at  or 312.567.8968. Students authorized to park in university lots will receive a parking permit.

Student Health Insurance

All students who are registered for one billable hour are required to purchase the student health insurance policy or to submit proof of equivalent insurance before the end of the first week of classes. All students who are on an F-1 or J-1 visa and are registered for at least one class, participants in the co-op program, research or teaching assistants, or occupants of university residence halls are required to purchase the student health insurance. The premium for the insurance will be added to student tuition and fees as a charge. To avoid this charge, submit proof of comparable coverage online at .  F-1 and J-1 students may only waive the university’s coverage with proof of employer provided insurance. Students must submit their waiver each fall. Other students, spouses, and dependents of students may participate in the student health program, if desired. Students should consult the Student Health and Wellness Center in IIT Tower, Suite 3D9-1, at 312.567.7550, for further details.


Each semester, billing statements will be made available to students through the MyIIT portal ( ) and such other responsible party or parties that a student designates as an authorized user(s) and for whom the student has provided the university with an email address. This statement will detail the then-current charges, payments, and other credits to the student's account, including the amount the student must pay and the date such payment is due. Notifications of new billing statements will be sent via email to the student's university email address as well as the email for any other responsible party that the student had designated. Students agree to monitor their university email account regularly.

Payment of Tuition, Room and Board, and Other Fees and Charges

Tuition and fees, less any authorized financial aid awards, are considered a student’s out-of-pocket responsibility. The due date for all out-of-pocket payments will be posted each semester at .  All out-of-pocket payments must be paid by the due date. Payment plan information can be found at . The deadline to enroll in a plan will be posted each semester at .

Please see  for options and instructions related to making payment.

Payment Policy

Illinois Institute of Technology establishes an account for each of its students for the purpose of charging tuition and fees, room and board, and other applicable university charges. Students can access their account information directly online by logging into the MyIIT portal  ( and looking under the Finances tab. Students can navigate to the "Manage My Student Account" channel and click on "Manage My Account." Students may view their charges, due dates for these charges, payments, and credits from financial aid at any time.

Payments of all charges for a term are due on the first day of the term to which the charges apply. If a student pays less than the total amount due by the respective due date, he/she will be assessed a monthly late payment fee of two percent on the remaining unpaid portion.

The Student Accounting Office will accept payment only up to the total amount of tuition and fees assessed to a student's account. Payments in excess of current charges will not be accepted.

The university does reserve the right to cancel registration depending on circumstances for non-payment. If a student has a past due balance remaining, in addition to the assessment of late payment fees, the student will have a hold placed on his or her records. This hold will prohibit a student from obtaining official transcripts and/or registering for future-term classes until the account balance is paid in full. To be able to register for the next term, students should pay their accounts in full. For more information about registration holds and late payments, please visit: .

Rejected Payments

If the university receives notification that a payment has been rejected for any reason, the returned amount will be charged to the student account along with a $50.00 fee. Payments rejected due to insufficient funds must be replaced with a cashier’s check, money order, or credit card. Payments rejected due to invalid routing and/or account information or a closed account may be replaced with another electronic check from a different account. Following a second rejected payment, the university will no longer accept personal or electronic checks or electronic checks from the payee. All subsequent payments must be made by cashier’s check, money order, or credit card.

Outstanding Debts/Late Fees/Financial Holds

Any outstanding balance due on a student's account that is not timely paid when due is subject to service charges in the amounts or at the rates established and published by the university from time to time. A restrictive hold is placed on a student’s record when that student is delinquent in fulfilling his or her financial obligation to the university. A student will be considered delinquent when his or her account is not paid in full according to established university policies and by posted payment due dates. Students with outstanding university debt may be suspended from current term classes. Students will be prevented from registering for additional courses or obtaining official documents such as diplomas or transcripts until that outstanding balance has been paid in full. Students also acknowledge that failure to pay any amount due by the due date may result in an unfavorable report with credit bureaus and collection activities, including litigation.

Tuition Waiver Policy

Under exceptional circumstances such as withdrawal for involuntary military service, serious illness or injury, or action by the university, consideration may be given by the university for the issuing of a waiver for unused tuition upon written request to the academic department. Payments for charges other than tuition will remain the responsibility of the student. Students should consult for the last day to add or drop a class without a penalty.

University Refund Policy

If a student’s financial aid, including any disbursements of Title IV funds such as Pell grants or federal loans, creates a credit balance on their student account, they will be refunded any such overage. If any non-financial aid payments that are made results in an overpayment of the charges on a student’s account, the university will hold these credits on the student account to be applied towards future charges, unless the student contacts the students contacts the Student Accounting Office to request a refund of the overpayment, or ceases to be enrolled.

Students must be enrolled in direct deposit to receive their student refund. Refunds from financial aid credits are processed throughout the semester. Student Accounting will send an email whenever the office processes a refund, provided the student is enrolled in direct deposit. There is no fee for receiving a refund via direct deposit. For a full explanation of the university’s policies and procedures related to refunding student account credit balances, refer to .

Title IV Federal Loan Authorizations

Health insurance fees, parking charges, and other items on a student bill cannot be automatically paid with Title IV Federal Loan funds. Students may authorize the university to pay these fees with Title IV Federal Loan funds by completing a Title IV Authorization form on the MyIIT portal and checking the “Pay Non-Institutional Charges” box. Students who do not complete this Title IV Authorization may receive a refund and still owe the university money.

Employer Tuition Deferment Plan

The Employer Tuition Deferment Plan allows students that are employed by a company that offers tuition reimbursement an opportunity to defer the reimbursable portion of their tuition until 45 days after grades are posted. By applying for the university’s Tuition Employer Tuition Deferment Plan, students recognize that their employer’s tuition reimbursement plan has qualifying conditions which they must meet in order to be reimbursed. Should a student's company refuse to pay this bill within the usual time frame for tuition deferment, the student will be personally responsible for this tuition and will be required to pay the bill in full. Students should also understand that a deferred payment fee of $55.00 will be due at the time of application, and it is non-refundable. If the tuition due under this agreement is not paid within three weeks following grades being posted, the student authorizes their employer to withhold the amount due from their pay and to pay that amount to Illinois Institute of Technology.

Students must understand that any amount not covered by the terms of their company’s tuition reimbursement policy is due in full by the end of the add/drop registration period and is subject to fees and a hold preventing registration for the next term. If a student fails to meet the requirements to be eligible for the university’s Employer Tuition Deferment Plan by the deadline, their tuition will not be deferred and will be due immediately.

Sponsor Billing (Third Party Invoicing)

Sponsor billing is the generation of an Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) invoice to request payment of tuition/fees/housing for a student billed by the university to an external party or for the recovery of expenses incurred by the university on behalf of a student. Sponsors include outside parties, such as embassies, companies, and community agencies, who pay Illinois Institute of Technology directly for a student’s educational expenses with funds that did not originate with the student.

Proof of Sponsorship Required

Students whose tuition and fees are paid by a sponsor need to submit proof of sponsorship from their sponsoring agency. Adequate documentation must:

  • Be written in English on the sponsor’s official stationery;
  • Request the university to bill the sponsor for the student’s charges;
  • Identify the student by full name (given name first followed by family name) and Campus-Wide ID if available;
  • Clearly state the type and percentage of charges the sponsor will pay;
  • Include a billing address;
  • Stipulate the exact begin and end dates of the period during which the sponsor will pay the student’s charges (if the sponsor wishes to continue payment after the end date it must submit a new authorized letter);
  • Contain no restrictions or contingencies (if, for example, the sponsor requires grades or transcripts prior to payment, the student must pay the original bill then seek reimbursement from the sponsoring organization);
  • Be signed by an authorized official of the sponsoring organization.

Processing/Altering Sponsorship Agreement

Invoices will be processed after the add/drop registration date of each semester. Any changes in eligibility for a sponsored student should be communicated to the Student Accounting Office immediately.

Students that become ineligible or have a reduction in their sponsored amount will owe this amount immediately. A restrictive hold will be placed on the account to prevent registration for subsequent terms, as well as prevent students from obtaining any official paperwork from the university.

Late Sponsorship Payment

In the event a sponsor fails to remit payment for a student, the sponsorship coverage is removed. The student is responsible for all outstanding balances on the account after the sponsorship is removed. If the student believes payment was inadvertently delinquent, it is the responsibility of the student to communicate with the sponsor to rectify this situation.

Students that fail to submit required sponsorship documentation to the Student Accounting Office in a timely manner will be held responsible for any outstanding balance on the student account, as well penalty fees assessed to their accounts due to lack of payment.

Gainful Employment Information

As of July 1st, 2011, institutions must disclose the following information about each of the institution’s certificate programs that lead to gainful employment: the name of the certificate program, the Classification of Instructional Programs Code (CIP) and the Standard Occupation Code (SOC), tuition and fee charges, the typical cost of books and supplies, and the average cost of room and board.

Illinois Institute of Technology's accreditor does not require the calculation of job placement rates and therefore the university is unable to disclose such rates. Once the National Center of Education Statistics (NCES) publishes its methodology for calculating placement rates, the university will use it to calculate such rates.

Per Gainful Employment guidelines, if the number of students who completed a Gainful Employment program during the award year was less than ten, the school cannot disclose median loan debt and on-time completion rate for privacy reasons.

This information is current and accurate as of the date of this publication. The most current information related to Gainful Employment Programs may be found on the Graduate Admission website at .

Living Expenses


The university offers two types of housing:

  • Residence halls for single undergraduates and graduate students
  • Furnished apartments for upper-class, married, and single graduate students 

All rooms come fully furnished with bed, desk, and desk chair.  Apartments have fully furnished kitchens with appliances including oven, range, hood, and a refrigerator.

Applications must be submitted through the website. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Room assignment timelines are available on the Residence and Greek Life website.

Students who arrive on campus without a housing confirmation may not be able to stay in the residence halls. There is no temporary housing on campus for students who do not sign a housing contract. For more information, please contact Residence and Greek Life at or visit the website at .