Office of Inclusion, Diversity, and Employer Engagement
The Office of Inclusion, Diversity, and Employer Engagement (IDE^2) serves as a catalyst to connect industry, individuals, and communities in support of education and career preparation that is respectful, responsible, and professional.
Our overarching lens will be one of diversity and inclusion in our approach to create a comprehensive network of opportunities that will broaden mindsets, yield growth, provide and transition support. IDE^2 is guided by five core values that shape our approach to diversity, inclusion, and employer engagement at Illinois Institute of Technology.
Experiential and Reflective Learning
We are committed supporting lifelong learning, which is best achieved through hands-on interaction coupled with intentional reflection. This practice provides an opportunity for students, scholars, companies, and community members to explore cultural practices, traditions, academic disciplines, and personal experiences. Through this process we also learn about our own values and strengths, deepening our ability to promote, take intentional action, and express empathy.
Collaboration and Commitment
We are committed addressing the complex career challenges that our diverse student body is facing and progress can only be achieved through meeting the individual needs of scholars. Our work relies heavily on relationships with companies, community partners, students, staff, faculty, and alumni. These relationships take time to build and require continuous investment and renewal. We are committed to the process required for successful collaboration and seek to form communal partnerships to make long-term sustainable differences.
We are committed to respecting imagination worldwide. Universal wisdom comes from lived experiences and everyone can serve in the role of teaching. We rely on a variety of shared wisdom to help us identify comfort zones, and we value our corporate and community partners as co-educators who support student learning inside the classroom and beyond.
We are committed to enlightening and empowering students, so that they are comfortable undertaking responsibility. Students can use their honored positions to serve others and contribute to broader movements of engagement. We value students’ passions, talents, ideas, and experiences and believe in their capacity to be successful change agents and leaders on and off campus.
Embrace and Drive Change
We are committed to servicing the diverse needs of everyone. Societal structures tend to lean toward the privileged majority and dominant groups. Without the intentional actions of individuals, the needs of those with fewer resources are disregarded. We believe that there are enough resources to meet the basic needs of all, which enables each person to live a full life with dignity. Illinois Institute of Technology has a responsibility to promote and introduce respectful and compatible career opportunities that support freedom of thought, inquiry, and expression.
We are committed to excellence and quality in all of our endeavors. Three key pillars have been identified to provide strength and support for our vision:
- Pillar 1: Employer and Alumni Engagement
- Pillar 2: Core Initiatives and Programs
- Pillar 3: Transformative Student Experience
- Corporate Ambassador Program – This program bridges the gap between the university and industry by serving as a conduit that fosters collaboration, exchanges resources, and promotes shared learning.
- Professional Student Organizations (PSOs) and Honor Societies – A symbiotic portal that supports a responsive academic-industry partnership for students, which provides an enriching setting to explore expansive career viewpoints by convening people from virtually every industry and occupation.
- Illumination Sessions – This program is a platform where companies (target alumni) are able to come to campus and share insight on business culture and the workplace environment to better prepare students for the workforce.
- Alumni Career Voices – A collection and sharing of alumni career experiences through statements internally and externally.
- Diversity and Inclusion Council – A brain trust of advisers comprised of volunteers from corporations and nonprofit sector leaders who meet on a quarterly basis to share best practices.
- SASDI Fellowship Program – Interns enhance the Illinois Institute of Technology career experience for students and alumni by providing an insightful look into federal, state, and local diversity laws that impact workplace hiring, promotion, and retention practices.
- Industry Sharing Table – A bridge program that provides faculty, alumni, departments, and companies with a connection to each other and students for the purpose of exchanging ideas and information.
- The Wild Formula Learning Network – This program gives free books to young readers and connects them to fun and exciting educational programs in the community. This program was designed to inspire children, parents, and families to explore opportunities that promote the power of imagination and literacy.
- True North Career Guides – Library guides that provide inclusive resources for marginalized groups in support of individual career planning.