Every student is responsible for fulfilling graduation requirements as specified in the Illinois Institute of Technology Bulletin in effect at the time of his or her admission to the university. If those curriculum requirements change before the student completes a specified degree program, he or she may follow a curriculum in a subsequent Bulletin with the approval of his or her academic unit head.
The student has the ultimate responsibility to fulfill degree requirements, to attain eligibility to enroll in particular courses, and to comply with all applicable academic rules governing his or her academic program.
NOTE: Students must file an Application for Graduation Form at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to graduate. A late fee will be charged to students who submit an application after the posted deadline. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for specific deadlines.
Undergraduate students must complete:
- All required courses in their major program.
- Credit hour requirements as appropriate to their major (a minimum of 126 credit hours).
- Core Curriculum and special academic requirements.
- Residence requirements.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 and a minimum GPA of 2.00 in the student’s major department courses. A student who completes all course requirements with an average below the minimum grade point requirements may, with permission of his or her department chair and academic dean, take additional courses to raise the GPA.
- Completion of all the above within a period of eight calendar years from the semester of initial admission for full-time students or 12 calendar years for part-time students after achieving degree-seeking status. A student may petition their major department and academic dean to have this period extended. If the petition is approved, this extension may involve additional compensating academic requirements.
- Payment of all financial obligations to the university.
All incomplete coursework must be submitted to the instructor prior to the date of graduation. A recorded grade of "I" (incomplete) in a course required for graduation will result in deferral of that student’s graduation until the next semester. A new application for graduation must be submitted for that semester.