Academic Progress, Probation, and Academic Suspension/Dismissal

This is an archived copy of the 2019-2020 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

All students who are degree candidates are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress. This includes earning satisfactory grade point averages (GPA) and maintaining a satisfactory rate of progress toward the completion of their degree programs.

Students who earn less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA, a 1.85 current term GPA, or a 2.00 major GPA are placed on academic probation.

Degree-seeking students are required to maintain a satisfactory rate of progress:

  • Full-time students must earn a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester applicable to their degrees.
  • Part-time students must maintain a satisfactory rate of progress which will enable them to graduate within 12 academic years after achieving degree-seeking status.

Students who do not maintain a satisfactory rate of progress in a given semester may be placed on probation based on the recommendation from the student’s academic adviser, department associate chair, or academic dean. Probation may affect financial aid. See Student Eligibility Requirements to Receive Federal and State Financial Assistance in the Financial Aid section.

Students on probation are not permitted to:

  • Register for more than 15 credit hours per semester unless they receive approval from the associate dean of their college.
  • Hold an elected or appointed office in any student organization. Probation does not affect membership in a student organization.
  • Participate in the Cooperative Education Program unless approved by the Academic Standing Committee.

Academic probation may affect a student’s eligibility to participate in varsity athletic sports.

Students who are enrolled in a dual degree program and are placed on academic probation must schedule a meeting with the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

Students who are on academic probation for two consecutive semesters are candidates for academic suspension from the university.

The progress of non-degree students also is reviewed and any student who does not maintain good academic standing is subject to being placed on probation or academic suspension.

A student placed on academic suspension by the university may petition the Academic Standing Committee to review the suspension. The student must present substantial academic or other relevant new evidence not available at the time of suspension in support of the petition for reinstatement. The chair of the Academic Standing Committee will determine whether the new documentation warrants a further review of the case.